Red Onion and Gouda Pizza
Today, our spotlight is on the aromatic red onion and the subtly sweet, yet rich, Gouda cheese—a simple but delicious combination!
Red onions, recognized for their vibrant hue and slightly sweet flavour, provide a hint of tang and a delightful crunch. Gouda, a renowned Dutch cheese, boasts a creamy, mild taste that’s slightly sweet and nutty. Gouda melts wonderfully, enveloping the other toppings in its rich, velvety goodness.
The mild sweetness of the red onion is perfectly complemented by the creamy richness of Gouda. Oregano and chili flakes introduce a hint of Mediterranean warmth and a touch of heat, enhancing the overall depth of this pizza, making it look and taste fantastic!
Red Onion and Gouda Pizza
- Outdoor Pizza Oven, Pizza Steel, or Stone (if using a home oven)
- 1 Pizza Peel
- 1 sauce ladle
- 1 wooden chopping board or peel for prep and serving
- 1 pizza dough ball
- 1 ladle of pizza sauce
- Low moisture mozzarella cheese
- Pecorino cheese
- Dried oregano
- Chilli Flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare Dough: Follow any of our dough recipes. You will need to prepare the dough at least 24 hours ahead of time.
- Prepare Sauce: We recommend our standard pizza sauce which is versatile, simple to make and is perfect for Neapolitan style pizzas. Spice up this sauce however you like, remember the best part about making pizza is the creative process!
- Prepare Cheese: Tear both the low moisture mozzarella and Gouda into medium-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare Red Onion: Slice the red onion into thin to medium slices and set aside.
- Preheat Oven:If using an outdoor pizza like an Ooni pizza oven, aim for a temperature of 450-500°C at the center of your pizza stone. Use an infrared thermometer to ensure accuracy. It should take around 25-30 minutes to reach temperature.For a home oven, using a pizza steel or stone, place the stone or steel inside the oven and preheat to the highest temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare Base: On a lightly floured surface, stretch out the dough by hand according to the steps outlined in our dough recipe. Once you're happy with the shape of the base, lightly dust your pizza peel and transfer the dough onto the peel.
- Assemble Pizza: Assemble the pizza by spreading a ladle of sauce in a circular motion, starting from the center and working outwards. Add a generous sprinkle of Pecorino cheese, distribute pieces of mozzarella and Gouda evenly across the dough, ensuring the pieces are about 2 cm in diameter and at least 1.5 cm apart. Finally, top with sliced onions, a sprinkle of dried oregano, chili flakes, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake Your Pizza:If you're using an outdoor pizza oven, launch the pizza into the oven and bake for 60-90 seconds. Keep an eye on the pie and rotate every 10-15 seconds to ensure even cooking and to avoid burning.For a home oven with a pizza steel or stone, the bake time should be around 7-10 minutes.
- Serving: Once done, transfer the pizza to a serving board. Now, enjoy your scrumptious homemade red onion and Gouda pizza!