Eggplant and Roasted Peppers Pizza
At My Husband Makes Pies, we’re always on the lookout for unique and healthy ingredients to make our pizzas stand out. Today, we’re excited to combine eggplant and marinated roasted peppers for a light and healthy twist on traditional pizza toppings.
Eggplant, a staple in cuisines worldwide, has a mild flavor and a meaty texture that makes it an excellent substitution for meat on your next pizza. Roasted peppers, on the other hand, add a burst of sweetness and a touch of smokiness that balances out the eggplant’s flavor. Together, they create a delicious and healthy pizza that’s perfect for anyone looking for a lighter option.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or simply looking for healthier flavour combinations to use on your pizza, our Eggplant and Roasted Peppers Pizza works very well. It’s a light and healthy pizza that doesn’t compromise on flavour or texture.
Eggplant and Roasted Peppers Pizza
- Outdoor Pizza Oven, Pizza Steel, or Stone (if using a home oven)
- 1 Pizza Peel
- 1 wooden chopping board or peel for prep and serving
- 1 pizza dough ball
- Grana padano cheese
- Bocconcini cheese
- 1 Eggplant
- Marinated roasted peppers / roasted capsicum
- Chilli flakes
- Spring onion
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare Dough: Follow any of our dough recipes. You will need to prepare the dough at least 24 hours ahead of time.
- Prepare Cheese: Place your bocconcini in a container or bowl with a paper towel at the bottom to allow some of the water to drain. Tear the bocconcini balls in half to prevent them from rolling when assembling the pizza. Finely grate the grana padano. Set aside.
- Prepare Eggplant: Cut the eggplant into slices, lightly fry with olive and a sprinkle of salt. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare Roasted Peppers: Slice marinated roasted peppers into small chunks. Set aside.
- Preheat Oven:If using an outdoor pizza like an Ooni pizza oven, aim for a temperature of 450-500°C at the center of your pizza stone. Use an infrared thermometer to ensure accuracy. It should take around 25-30 minutes to reach temperature.For a home oven, using a pizza steel or stone, place the stone or steel inside the oven and preheat to the highest temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare Base: On a lightly floured surface, stretch out the dough by hand according to the steps outlined in our dough recipe. Once you're happy with the shape of the base, lightly dust your pizza peel and transfer the dough onto the peel.
- Assemble Pizza: To start assembling your pizza, begin by tearing each ball of bocconcini. This will help prevent the cheese from rolling around when launching your pizza into the oven. Distribute the bocconcini lightly and evenly across the base of your pizza, making sure to leave a few centimeters between each piece. Next, generously sprinkle a couple of handfuls of grated grana padano cheese. Add the slices of eggplant, roasted peppers, spring onion, and chili flakes. Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake Your Pizza:If you're using an outdoor pizza oven, launch the pizza into the oven and bake for 60-90 seconds. Keep an eye on the pie and rotate every 10-15 seconds to ensure even cooking and to avoid burning.For a home oven with a pizza steel or stone, the bake time should be around 7-10 minutes.
- Serving: Once done, remove the pizza from the oven and place it on a serving board. Now it's time to enjoy your delicious eggplant and roasted peppers pizza!